Posted by Grange Co-op on 16th Feb 2015
Below are some interesting facts about hummingbirds:
- Hummingbirds are the tiniest birds in the world.
- An average hummingbird consumes half its weight in sugar each day.
- If an average man had a metabolism comparable to that of a hummingbird, he would have to eat 285 pounds of hamburger every day to maintain his weight.
- Hummingbirds feed 5 to 8 times each hour, but for about 30 to 60 seconds at a time.
- A hummingbird's heart beats 1,260 times per minute.
- A resting hummingbird takes 250 breaths per minute.
- A hummingbird's heart is 2.5% of the total body weight.
- Hummingbirds have an average life span of about 5 years.
- Hummingbirds can live for more than 10 years.