Grange Co-op is proud to include the American Flag and accessories in our product assortment. As with all of our products, we want to do all we can to provide you with the information needed to use them properly.
- The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.
- It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.
- The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all-weather flag is displayed.
- The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
- No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. The flag should never be displayed with union (star field) down. Exceptions to this are: as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
- No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch can be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, will be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
- The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
- The American Flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
- Flags eventually have such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display. In the case of this condition, they should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
You can drop off American flags in need of retirement at any Grange Co-op Retail location during business hours, and we will see to it that they are retired properly.